Sunday, August 3, 2008

2 Years Ago Today

Two years ago today, I had just finished packing the last of our stuff, it was about 130am. I couldn't sleep at all, a thousand things kept running through my head along with an overwhelming sense of fear and panic. Finally, I fell asleep but it hadn't even been an hour before my alarm went off and it was time to go. I woke up drenched in sweat, I kept thinking that at any moment the adoption agency would call me and tell me there was yet another delay. That this long awaited moment wasn't going to come true. I think I spent the next 45 minutes getting sick, my stomach was turning this way and that way. Then finally the van was loaded and we were on our way. At every corner we turned, my thought raced back over the last year, it replayed every bad thing that had happened and again fear over took me. I was so scared that maybe the two bad adoption agencies would act on their word and harm K, or even worse yet act on their other threat to stop the adoption because I questioned their ethics! My new adoption agency assured me that, K was safe and I had nothing to worry about but still those feelings loomed. And then before I knew it we were at the train station, we said our good-byes to my brother and for some reason I had such a sense of doom that I wondered if this was going to be the last time I would see him. As we crossed the river and I memorized everything I could. For some reason I felt an urgency that I needed to remember these things because it was the last time I would see them. We arrived at airport and made the long trek to the check-in desk and then onto our flight to Atlanta. They served breakfast but I couldn't eat it, my stomach was still in knots. We arrived in Atlanta and made a mad dash to get to Korean Air in the International terminal. For everyone who has been there, you know it's not easy since you have to board the train and on top of it all they were having train troubles that day. We rushed up to the desk and checked-in. I know we must have looked strange in the sea of Asians waiting to board because we were the only Caucasians heading to Seoul. Still my stomach was in knots and I kept waiting for that phone call saying...Oh, sorry everything was canceled you need to head home. But as it was finally time to board the flight, I looked at the phone one last time, said about a thousand prayers and then turned the phone off and boarded the plane. Our adventure was just about to begin.

Now two years later, after all the hell we went through it's amazing to remember the feelings and adventure my Mom and I felt. To be able to remember the day so vividly, that it felt like it just happened. Things sure have changed in two years but today we are going to the baseball game, I have had these tickets purchased since the beginning of the season. So we will celebrate together that two years ago today, Grandma and Momma stepped on the plane and started their month long adventure to finally meet K and bring her home.

No comments: